So, as part of my daily use tool collection, I have programs that will read/write the CMOS to flush pesky BIOS passwords, and programs that will wipe clean any password on Windows (from 98-Vista). Both require either CD or floppy that can be booted from.

A couple weeks back I attempted to crack a HDD password for a client. Since I couldn't find any good resources online (for a SATA hard drive), I just traded him out; my 80 gig Sata for his locked 160 gig sata. So far I have failed miserably trying to make it usable again. I'm not interested in the data on it, so any solution that may even format the drive would work...I'm just not sure how to tackle the problem. I have an external usb sata adapter which loads it, but naturally doesn't allow access (as the password is stored in the firmware). Initially it came from some Dell Inspiron laptop (3.5" HDD).

I have a couple questions about how to handle this:
1) Are there any good programs to crack HD password via USB?
2) ...Or does it need to be connected internally to a laptop that lets you input the password?

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous23:32

    to enter the pass you need to be on a rig, connected internally, that has that function in the BIOS, I think

    you can't crack a locked hard drive as far as I know, tried every way I could find with no success

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23:32

    Hmm....the only real program I've found is HDD Unlock Wizard (hddunlock.com), but the program syncs up with an "unlocker server" and asks for a "virtual unlock card code". So; the only way to use this program (as far as I can tell anyway) is to actually buy the unlock (which for my 120 gb sata would be $14.95, which isn't too bad, I just wanted to be able to do it for free and not require an authentication server).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous23:32

    Hi simalur problem,after building me system the hdd is saying not acsessable, again it an old dell hdd with items I wish to keep.... Can't believe there ain't a programme to help???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23:33

    I have this exact same problem. mine is connected to my PC Via sata>USB connection. Is there any way at all to fix this problem

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Help-Buzz © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger
Top