I bought a 160gb hard drive recently, and when I attempt to install it into my computer, it just doesnt work.

The model is "Seagate Barracuda 160gb ATA100 7200RPM, 8MB 8.5MS Hard Drive OEM"

I have made sure the jumpers are switched into their place.

Alright... Now for the stupid part of the whole thing.

I put it in where I had a second 40gb hard drive (I had a 40gb w/ windows, and a 40gb with random stuff) I removed the second drive, and the IDE cable was black, the Windows XP one had a white cable. Now I just popped in the 160 gig hdd. Booted up, and it said that there was no boot sector, so I took it out, and tried booting, it worked fine.

So I put the Hard drive in the WHITE spot instead of the black spot. It then booted, and once windows started, it said "HDD Detected" etc etc. So when I went to Explorer, it wasn't there... I checked hardware manager, and it says some random numbers (usually it says the brand etc) and when I properties it, i get "GenDrive" in vendor etc. And it doesn't report it as anything (no serial num etc)

So at the moment I have it completely unplugged, but its in the computer. I have a theory that its my cables that are only ATA66 or w/e it is.

Specs

Pentium 4 2.8GHz
Sapphire x1600 Pro
1gb Kingston RAM (2x512)
Soundblaster Audigy
Two DVD Drives, one DVD and the other DVD writer
One IDE Hard drive, 40gb (not sure if its ATA66 or ATA100)
ECS P4S5A

Googling my Mobo shows it does support ATA100, so it SHOULD work. It just doesnt...

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous22:03

    What you have just said m8 is that you have 2 hard drives both loaded with Operating Systems on.

    This is why it wont boot up because both drives are set to Master. You need to format 1 of the drives and keep one set as master the other set to slave.

    If I were you I would format the 160GB drive 1st set it to slave and use the 40GB drive with Windows on and boot up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous22:03

    the 40 wire(ata66 and below) cable should work fine(if that's what it is) it will just slow the drive down

    the 160GB drive should be set to slave on the mid(not end) plug on the cable
    also check the 40GB XP drive, that jumper should be set to master, not cable select or slave

    in the bios at bootup duz the 160 show as slave and the 40 as master

    rt click my computer then manage then disk management what duz it show ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous22:04

    There is only an OS on the 40gb, but I think I just have to assign it to a drive, I asked the question on Experts Exchange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous22:04

    I misread what you said, I didn't see the I took it out* bit.

    If this is so, then like everyone else as said all you need to do is make sure that the 160GB drive is set to slave or take all jumpers off it.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Help-Buzz © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger
Top